Learn how to install a SRAM Powerlink or Powerlock in seconds with these simple video steps. Written steps with photos below video.
To complete this task you’ll need a chain breaker tool or mountain bike multi-tool with a chain breaker:
- I use the Crank Brother Multi 19 or the Topeak Alien II. (I have both)
- a Shimano XT and XTR chain plus the included connecting pin
- and a SRAM Connecting Link. (optional – instead of the chain pin)
Step 1 – Remove tension from the chain
- Shift to smallest rear gear and smallest front ring
- Hold the rear derailleur arm forward using a friend, bungy strap or stick through your spokes (careful!)
Step 2 – Remove the links you want to replace
- Using your mountain bike multi-tool remove the chain link(s) that you want the Powerlink to replace.
- You’ll need to leave the chain with two bare eye ends so that you can fit a Powerlink (below).
- Full instructions on how to remove chain pins can be found here.
Step 3 – Insert the SRAM Powerlink halves into the chain eyes
Step 4 – Mate the Powerlink halves together by locating each half into the other’s pin slot.
Step 5 – Squeeze and slide
- Squeeze the Powerlink together between your thumb and pointer finger, then slide your fingers in opposite directions to slide the Powerlink pins into their locked position.
- Powerlock users: connect the two halves then cycle the link to the top chain run. Apply the rear brake then push the pedal down until you hear a click. Done!
How to Remove a SRAM Powerlink
- To remove a Powerlink, simply perform the opposite of the above:
- Squeeze the Powerlink between your thumb and pointer finger while sliding the Powerlink plates in opposite directions to disengage the pins fro the locked position
- Now pull the two halves apart to remove them from each other’s pin slot and the chain eyes.
- A clean chain helps!
Where to next:
Please Like or Share this page with a friend to help them mountain bike better!